Wednesday, March 30, 2011

30 Teams in 30 Days: Philadelphia Phillies (Day 30)

What do you mean 30 Teams in 30 Days is over? It seems like it was just yesterday when I started writing about the Baltimore Orioles, and it seems like I strategically planned it so that the Phillies would be the last team covered, mainly because I did. But anyway, 30 Teams in 30 Days wraps up with the Philadelphia Phillies who finished the season with 97 wins and 65 losses. This record was the best in Major League Baseball, and the Phillies managed to clinch the NL East Pennant for the 4th straight year. And can 2011 be the 5th season to clinch the NL East? In my opinion as a fan, and as an MLB blogger, I say yes. Phillies off season major signings and losses can be summed up into this equation: 2011 Phillies = (2010 Phillies - Jayson Werth) + Cliff Lee. Bam. Other than that, the Phillies lost Chad Durbin, gained Luis Castillo, placed Ben Francisco in right field, and have made some bench changes. Philadelphia is facing some major problems going into the 2011 season with injuries. Chase Utley has no timetable on his return, Brad Lidge is out 3-6 weeks on the DL, and Dominic Brown is out with a broken hand. Luckily ManRam's line drive to Roy Oswalt's neck was not serious, because he pitched tonight and threw four-plus innings, gave up 5 hits, 5 earned runs, with 4 walks and 4 strikeouts. Jimmy Rollins, the Phillies, Phillies fans, and I are all looking for him to have great season, whether it be for personal merit, a new contract, or even fantasy points. Who doesn't love J-Roll (and is it J-Roll or J-Rol, please let me know)? I will be at Opening Night this year, which is Saturday April 2, so be sure to look for me on Tv. I wish the Phillies luck in the 2011 season, both as a blogger and as a diehard fan.

2 comments:

  1. you forgot to mention a Mr. Gregory Dobbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about Dobbs, but he did not post a great "Pinch Hitting" year this year. I really think with Mayberry playing the positions that Dobbs did could help the Phillies even more.

    ReplyDelete