Sunday, March 27, 2011

30 Teams in 30 Days: New York Mets (Day 27)

30 Teams in 30 Days continues today after being halted, once again by faulty wifi in hotels. I hope you are not too upset, but today there will be two posts between today's blog and tomorrow's. But this blog features the New York Mets, who finished 4th in the National League East. The Mets won 79 games in the 2010 season, and are facing quite a predicament this season. If you are unaware, the Mets are facing a $1 billion lawsuit due to their involvement with Bernie Madoff, and with that, they were also loaned $25 million from Major League Baseball. I was talking to a Mets fan about the 2011 season and my thoughts on how they would play. They stated, "Before the lawsuit, they will be in first place, and afterwards.....it will not be good." My thoughts exactly, a lawsuit will be very distracting for the ball club, and if they lose, there is a chance that their payroll will be nonexistent. The Mets recently released Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez, Castillo went to the Phillies, and Perez to the Nationals. New York did not do much signing over the off season but still retain the players that got them to 79 wins like: Jason Bay, David Wright, Ike Davis, Carlos Beltran, Angel Pagan, K-Rod, and my favorite, Jose Reyes. Reyes will be a free agent at the end of the season and hopefully the Mets will trade him to another team so I can wear his t-shirt and not look like a Mets fan (Fingers crossed). And to go with my hats, I am purchasing shirts, (at a slower rate), to show my love for the sport, and my favorite player on each team. But I wish the Mets luck in 2011 and wish Jose Reyes luck wherever he goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment