Friday, April 22, 2011

MLB Takes Control of the Dodgers

This Picture is a New Favorite
I know this story is about 2 days late, but I wanted to make sure that I got all the details that I would like to write about it. The whole idea of Major League Baseball having to take control over the Dodgers because of a messy divorce seems like a good idea, because the once prosperous club has been on the decline since Jamie McCourt filed for divorce in October 2009. In all honesty, I'm not sure what could come from this, there have been many rumors of relocation, or new ownership. No one is quite sure what is going to happen in this situation, but as of right now, the Dodgers are 10-10, making them third in the NL West. There is a reason that they are able to be in this position now, and that is that they had to borrow approximately $30 million in the off season to be able to make their payroll. This situation is very similar to what the Mets are going through, but they borrowed $25 million from MLB. Mets owner Fred Wilpon has something that the McCourt's do not, and that is a close personal friendship with Bud Selig. The only good thing that really can come from this whole ordeal is that the Dodgers ball club is not affected by this in any way. I really don't think that anyone would want the LA Dodgers to change location, because they have become an important part to the community. Yes the fans show up in the 3rd inning and leave in the 7th, but that is one of the key things that the Dodgers are all about. And don't forget, if they Dodgers leave Dodger Stadium, the announcers will not be able to talk about the large amounts of foul territory that are/were in Dodger Stadium. What will they talk about!?!? I wish the LA Dodgers luck in this very difficult situation and hope for the best for the organization.

The Official Message from Bud Selig is as follows:

“Pursuant to my authority as Commissioner, I informed Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt today that I will appoint a representative to oversee all aspects of the business and the day-to-day operations of the Club.  I have taken this action because of my deep concerns regarding the finances and operations of the Dodgers and to protect the best interests of the Club, its great fans and all of Major League Baseball. My office will continue its thorough investigation into the operations and finances of the Dodgers and related entities during the period of Mr. McCourt's ownership.  I will announce the name of my representative in the next several days.   
“The Dodgers have been one of the most prestigious franchises in all of sports, and we owe it to their legion of loyal fans to ensure that this club is being operated properly now and will be guided appropriately in the future.”

1 comment:

  1. The announcers could talk about how the Dodgers never have any rain delays.

    ReplyDelete