Wednesday, February 9, 2011

You Got How Much?!

Many team owners hate arbitration, and if you're wondering why, you'll understand when reading this. The Pittsburgh Pirates' pitcher Ross Ohlendorf, claimed arbitration the other day for $2 million, while the Pirates offered $1.4 million. Seems reasonable right? Well if you knew anything about Ross Ohlendorf, you'd know that he went 1-11 with the Pirates in the 2010 season. Ohlendorf went 11-10 in 2009, so why would he be worth $2 million, or even $1.4 million? I'm not sure, but a panel in Phoenix, Arizona felt as though he is worth $2 million. After going from a $439K salary, and will now make $2 million, Ohlendorf will have a 500 percent raise. The 28 year-old pitcher posted a 4.07 ERA in the 2010 season, and a 4.40 lifetime ERA. My question once again is "Why is Ross Ohlendorf making $2 million dollars?!?!?" The Pittsburgh Pirates no longer have any more arbitration hearings after this decision, and are probably thankful for it. The right-handed pitcher only had one win in 2010, and as of right now has an unofficial win with the Pirates. But now that he's making $2 million this year, maybe he'll manage two wins, or even three? This is one of the major problems I have with arbitration, good players deserve good salaries. I understand that Josh Hamilton would like more money, because he posted great numbers this season. But I guess it's the Pirates fault for offering him $1.4 million in the first place and placing the idea in his head. If I were him, I would have taken it at the drop of a hat. There is nothing I can do about this, but I wish Ross Ohlendorf luck in the 2011 season (with his wallet full of cash) and hopefully can have a great season.

No comments:

Post a Comment