Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spring Training Starts Tomorrow

No "definite" story today, but rather, I would like to reflect back on the past offseason and look to Major League Baseball in 2011. Pitchers and catchers for approximately 11 teams are to report tomorrow, making it and official start to the 2011 season. I know, it's not Opening Day, but for avid baseball fans, it means something. As a Phillies fan, I among others, experienced a huge gain, and a suffering loss to our team this offseason. Cliff Lee was signed to the Phillies, and Jayson Werth looked to his wallet, and went to the Washington Nationals. Personally, I think this was one of the largest offseasons in awhile, huge names were traded such as: Cliff Lee, Jayson Werth, Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Zach Greinke, Vladimir Guerrero, Johnny Damon, Manny Ramirez, Vernon Wells, Mark Reynolds, Adrian Beltre, Lance Berkman, Mike Napoli, and many others (if I've forgotten some, let me know). But one of the biggest signings has yet to happen, and should happen either before or on February 16, which is the deadline Albert Pujols gave the Cardinals to agree on a contract extension. If they do not agree on something within the next two days, Pujols will be a free agent for the first time in his career after the 2011 season. I think this year will be a great year for baseball, for all teams and all fans. What will teams do? I don't know but I believe that each and every team has a chance, except that the Phillies will end up beating them in the end, but that's just me. I am ready for baseball to start because it is the greatest 9-10 months out of the year (Spring Training- Feb. - Playoffs- Nov?) Lastly, I will be starting a private fantasy baseball league this year, and if you're interested please comment below with your name. But fantasy baseball is now a key part of the season for me and I look forward to playing. Enjoy the season.

I am also doing something new this year, and that is collecting all 30 teams' baseball hats. So if you would like to contribute, please let me know. :) I'm two hats in and and have a 7 1/4 hat size, and would like to inform everyone that I'm not getting rid of my Phillies hats, but expanding my collection of MLB hats.

1 comment:

  1. I will bring you an official Toronto hat in May!

    ReplyDelete