Thursday, March 22, 2012

Orioles with a Winning Season

Day in and day out, I spend my time with Orioles fans, and if you have recently looked at my Facebook, you will notice that I am also a fan. Now I know, "Taylor, you like the Phillies." True, but I am a Phillies fan raised by my parents who are a Phillies fan and an Orioles fan. My first baseball game that I can remember was at Camden Yards, and I have always had a love for the Orioles as far as I can remember. Are the Orioles a fan of me? Do the Orioles care about my wants and needs? My wants and needs as an Orioles fan is that I want them to succeed, I want them to have a winning season, and I want them to move out of the "cellar" of the American League East. But the front office of the Orioles keeps going against that dream, they keep making trades that help other teams, but not their own. What am I supposed to think when the Orioles are shopping around for offers for both Mark Reynolds and Kevin Gregg. The team cannot be based around Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, and Mark Reynolds. That's not a strong enough core of players, but hopefully with the return of an always ailing Brian Roberts, and a strong season from Nolan Reimold might help out the O's cause. With the addition of Chris Davis at first, and J.J. Hardy returning at shortstop, the Orioles are still in a desperate need for pitching. Find me one pitcher on the Orioles starting rotation that is the "ace" or find me a definite closer on the team. ERA's are through the roof on that team and in the AL East, there's probably a good reason way.

It's hard to succeed in a division that has the competing rivalry of the Yankees and Red Sox. The Tampa Bay Rays have been strong ever since 2008, and the Blue Jays want to become contenders. Last year, the Yankees had 97 wins, the Rays 91, the Red Sox 90, and the Blue Jays finished at .500 with 81 wins. The Orioles need to step up their game, and having Buck Showalter as a manager certainly does help, but the absolutely need, need, need to obtain some serious pitching both in the rotation and in the bullpen. I for one am willing to have Cal Ripken Jr. come back as a coach, as a manager, as a consultant, and if the "Iron Man" is willing to, get onto the field and play. The last time the Orioles had a winning season was in 1997 and their best player was Mike Mussina. Ouch. So now, it is time to take back Camden Yards from all the New Yorkers and Bostonians that flock down to Baltimore! It is time to make a stand with the Orioles front office to force them to make the team succeed! And it is certainly time to see the Orioles win the American League East because: THIS IS BIRDLAND!

No comments:

Post a Comment