Monday, November 21, 2011

Justin Verlander: Legend Amongst Men

To do what Justin Verlander has accomplished in the 2011 season is just amazing. Verlander was a sure lock-in for the AL Cy Young award but there was still speculation of who would win the AL MVP. The last pitcher to win the MVP award was in 1992, and the last starting pitcher to win was Rodger Clemens in 1986. It can be difficult to comprehend just what Verlander has done. He doesn't believe it himself: "If you had told me at the beginning of the year I would be a shoo-in for the Cy Young, I would have been excited and ecstatic. I would've never even thought about the MVP." Statistically, Justin Verlander was 24-5, and in a 162 game season, Verlander won 25% of the Tigers 95 wins. In other words, Wow. It's simply amazing in that Verlander can make such an impact on his team that he beat Jacoby Ellsbury, Jose Bautista, and Curtis Granderson. In my opinion, I was pulling for either Ellsbury or Granderson because of their surges in homerun hitting, but unfortunately, I don't get to vote for such things. I could continue to give stats about Verlander's 2011 season but I feel as though that it is simply redundant. The man won both the Cy Young and the AL MVP. It's simply amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment